Every new and loving parent will definitely get serious when it comes to transporting their most precious cargo. The highways and byways can be quite scary. But, it need not necessarily be scary provided you know of the different child seats out there and what to consider when choosing one for your child. Hence, the need to research end educate yourself about various key points such as what convertible car seats are, why you need one, when you need it, how to choose your best convertible car seats, and the features you should always look for in convertible car seats. In this article, therefore, I’m going to cover all these points and much more.
What is a Convertible Car Seat?
It is a car seat fit for both the forward facing and rear facing mode. Although car seats are of different brands and types, depending on your choice, but in general, car seats can be used for any children ranging from very little at birth to two years.
Additionally, some car seats can be converted into a booster seat for children or turned from the rear facing to forward facing. In this case, such car seats are referred to as either combination or 3-in-one car seats.
In a hurry? Here’s our Number 1 Rated Convertible Car Seat:
The Need for Convertible Car Seats
The time to get a convertible car seat for your infant not necessarily a concern because that’s really up to you to decide except for the convenience of using the detachable carrier you may want to delay buying it.
However, going by the latest tests carried out by the experts and, in addition to new state laws and safety guidelines and the potential safety benefits of convertible seats for rear-facing kids, you should be tempted to get your child’s convertible car seat ready as soon as he turns one.
Below are some of the reasons you may want to buy child car seats especially the convertible seats for rear-facing kids:
- It’s best for your kids. The number one thing you want to give your child while driving is the protection and safety. For a child less than one-year-old, using convertible car seat has been found to be precious value in providing additional protection over a child seat in protecting a child’s head.
- It’s an Inevitable Need You Must Meet. There is absolutely no way for you to dodge buying a convertible car seat for your infant especially considering the fact that you will want to keep your child rear-facing until her second birthday in line with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation for parents to keep children rear-facing until the age of 2. Additionally, if you find yourself in places like New Jersey, Oklahoma, and California you will want to obey the new law which also requires rear-facing for a child less than two years. Or wouldn’t you?
- Height limits reasons. Weight limits vary in many child and rear-facing-only seats so you may need to buy a convertible car seat because if you’re thinking your child will still be within the limit range of 30 and 35 pounds set for most rear-facing seats what if he has grown out of those seats? You would definitely need to buy another one fit for him. To avoid this, convertible car seats will be your best option.
- You don’t want to sacrifice your child’s safety for any inconveniences and heaviness that the rear-facing seat might be giving you when switching to it as against the opposite experience you’re having with the infant carrier. So don’t think about avoiding doing what is best for him because of your selfish concern about your own convenience at the expense of your babe.
- Now it’s the time to take the action. Make the switch now; get your child a convertible car seat’s added potential for head protection now! Wait! I have this important advice for you: Don’t wait till your child outgrow her infant seat, try and transition your child to a rear-facing convertible seat now when he is still not above one year old.
When Is The Best Time To Get A Car Seat For Your Child?
Many people don’t care to find out at what age they should switch to convertible car seats. This is very important for a parent to know when to use bucket seat or the convertible.
For a newborn baby, less than five pounds of weight or going to two years infant car seats may be the best option. Although weight recommendation vary in different car seats but it’s advisable that you continue using a bucket seat for your baby until they clock two irrespective of their weight or height.
Once they attain two years old then you can switch to either the convertible, combination or a booster.
Features of Best Convertible Car Seats
The best car seat you can give your baby is one that gives him the most protection. So you want to make sure you get it right when choosing a convertible car seat to buy for him. But the untold truth is, there is absolutely no one car seat model that works for all families, you only need to know features set best child car seats out from the many in the market. The following list of features can help you decide if a convertible car seat is a right pick for you and your baby.
- Impact protection: One of the features of the best convertible car seats is that they reduce neck strain and protect your child during side-impact accidents. There are different types of support you can give your child depending on the age but the greatest threat to a child in an accident is the neck injury so it requires a car seat with full protection to keep your child safe from that. With a convertible car seat, your child protection is guaranteed at every age.
- Five-point harness: If you’re buying a convertible car seat consider going for the one with the five-point harness because that is the safest harness system for babies and interestingly enough, most convertible car seats out there have this feature. Except in some booster and toddler seats your child car seats will certainly come with a five-point harness to protect your little one. You should always consider having one car seat with a safety harness in your car for the safety of your child in all stages of his babyhood.
- Broader height and weight limits: As with most traditional car seats there is a wider height and weight limits for convertible car seats which allow children to use from babyhood to early childhood. And what this means is that you don’t have to worry about your child outgrowing any limit soon. In fact, convertible car seats are not known for having a minimum height or weight standard.
- Excellent support features: As is the case with impact accident so also it’s with support features of a car seat. Convertible car seats are meant to provide the right support features like snugglers, adjustable angles, and removable infant headrest to your child all ages. As our child grows so also should the support needs change. Give your children proper support features all in one car seat today by choosing a convertible car seat.
- Easily convertible in position: A good convertible car seat must be able to switch from rear-facing to forward facing thereby saving parents the cost and the stress of buying additional car seat now and then for failing to change the design and the position of a single car seat. Convertible car seat typically keeps your baby safe from infancy to childhood or as he grows.
My Top 5 Best Convertible Car Seats For The Year 2017
I took my time to interview some real BabyList families about the convertible car seat they love the most, now that they already have their babies. After taking their top products they shared with me and doing some deep research and insight, here are my top best convertible car seats I think you and your baby will love.
- Chicco NextFit Convertible Car Seat
- Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- Evenflo SureRide Convertible Car Seat
- Cosco Scenera NEXT Convertible Car Seat
- Graco Contender Convertible Car Seat
To find out more about my top 5 best convertible car seats for the year 2017 read my new post here (insert your link here)
How I Choose My Best Convertible Car Seats And How You Too Can
So you’re ready to buy your child car seat but not sure what to look out for in best convertible car seats. By applying the same criteria that I used to come up with my top 5 best convertible car seats for the year 2017 I can assure you that you can seamlessly find your top infant car seats that your baby will love. Get your top-rated car seats easily today in any online store of your choice by simply employing my strategy.
Here is how I do it and these are the fundamental factors you need to keep in mind when buying your convertible car seats:
- Customer reviews
- Ease of use
- Sizes or Dimensions
- Increments, and
Note: The lists are not in any specific order but going by my research the most important factors used specifically in the selection of the top quality car seats in 2016, 2017 are safety, features, ease of use, price, and customer reviews
- Price: What to consider in price is not necessarily in terms of affordability but the quality. While it may be easy to get quality yet cheap car seats most of the time quality car seats do come with a relatively high price.
- Ease of Use: Here ask question such as is it easy to use for a child, is it easy to install, and the rest.
- Safety: Always go for a brand that offers most support features during an accident to keep you child safe and protected. When it comes to safety you can rely on all my lists of top best car seats above for a start. Again, it doesn’t suffice to just take as true what you heard alone go ahead and find out the materials used in the car seat to know if it can withstand crash conditions. Examples of good materials here include solid frame and EPS foam. You can also check an organization like safecar.gov for baby car seat safety ratings before purchase. This organization will give ratings for all car seat out there in the market.
- Features: As for the features look for things like easy to install, latch system, cup holder etc. Good examples of convertible car seats that meet these features are those already in my recommended list above such as Chicco Nextfit , Britax Clicktight, etc.
- Reviews: This one is a major criterion that you should consider as they’ll give you an insight into the pros and cons of the car seat you’re thinking of buying. Go to Amazon .com and check those verified customers/purchase reviews for what buyers of the product are already experiencing about it. That way you’ll know if it is the best pick or not.
Hope you find my article very helpful? Are you ready to buy your convertible car seats now?